I had to write this recipe down! It was quite impromptu, so I don’t want to forget what I made.
(if you used the previous recipe for the leg of lamb, the you should have some of the ingredients for this wrap left over)
You’ll need (aside from the wraps, diced tomato and avo):
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- half an onion, chopped
- 4 big mushrooms, cut up into pieces
- 4 tbls of lemon juice
- 2 big tbls of crushed pineapple
- 2 tbls of mayonnaise
- 2 tbls of cream
- 1 clove of garlic, cut into chips
- ground salt and pepper to taste
- about 45 ml of butter or oil for frying
- Heat the oven to grill temperature and dice the tomato, avo and whatever else you might like to add to your filling (some crushed pineapple is a good addition).
- Heat a pan and fry the onions, garlic and mushrooms with some of the butter until the onions brown and mushrooms release moisture.
- Add the chicken and more oil/butter and keep stirring until the chicken becomes firm (keep moist with butter or start adding other condiments)
- Flavour with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the crushed pineapple and cream; when a sauce starts to form, add the mayonnaise and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep tasting for a good sweet & sour balance, you may need to add more pineapple or more lemon juice.
- Keep frying until the sauce becomes less soupy and you can break the chicken pieces with the spatula, then turn the heat to low (taste to make sure the chicken isn’t still too try or too firm, you want soft, saucy pieces).
- Pop the wraps right on the grill rack to heat (make sure to remove them before they start gaining colour, unless you want crispy, crunchy wraps).
- Remove the wraps and serve with the filling.
Hint: if you feel the wrap is too sour, or the sweet taste needs a bit of dimension, add some sweet basil or mixed herbs. It’s important to keep the ingredients at hand and to keep adding them as you feel necessary; I didn’t measure the amounts precisely, I added dollops and dashes as I went, so let your taste-buds guide you:)